Hulu is a globally acclaimed entertainment platform that offers on-demand content. You can watch some of the highly popular shows like The Handmaid’s Tale, Darby and the Dead, and Fall Out from the comfort of your home. Or on your way to work.
While Hulu does support Android TVs, getting its content on your big screen can actually prove to be quite perplexing. And the situation is further exacerbated by the misleading instructions on the internet.
But don’t worry. I’ll guide you through some very easy and fat-free steps. After that, watching Hulu on Android TV will be a piece of cake for you.
Easy Steps to Watch Hulu on Android TV
Simply follow these quick steps to watch Hulu on Android TV:
- Once you’ve switched your TV on, connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- From your home screen, select ‘Apps.’
- Go to the Google Play Store.
- Search for the Hulu app.
- Now simply install the app.
Note: If you want to stream Hulu on Android TV outside the US, you’ll have to subscribe to a premium VPN provider, such as ExpressVPN, to unblock the geo-restricted content for you.
How to Sign up for Hulu on Android TV
Once you’ve downloaded the app, you may need to sign up for an account if you don’t have one already. Here are the steps:
- Visit the Hulu website on your device.
- Click on ‘Start Free Trial’.
- Choose one of the offered plans.
- On the next page, type the required information.
- Then, select your preferred payment method.
- Add your billing details and proceed to sign up.
- A confirmation email will now be sent to you.
- Next, launch the Hulu app on your Android TV, login, and start streaming.
How to Activate Hulu on Android TV?
After creating an account, you may be prompted to activate your Android TV on your Hulu account. Follow the given steps to activate Hulu on Android TV:
- Launch Hulu on Android TV.
- Click on the login button to receive an ‘Activation Code’.
- Next, visit the Hulu Activation Page.
- Sign In with your credentials.
- Enter the Activation Code displayed on your TV screen.
- Your Android TV is activated now, and you may stream easily.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Watch Hulu Outside the US?
The answer to this question is simple but a sour one. Hulu is a US-based streaming platform and can officially be accessed within the US and some regions of Japan.
Beyond the specified regions, Hulu has imposed geo-restrictive policies on its content which means they’re blocked for the rest of the world. If you try to watch Hulu anywhere outside the US, you’ll confront the following error:
Hulu isn’t available to watch in your location.
Thus, to remove these barriers, you need the superpowers of a reliable VPN. By subscribing to one, you can hide your original location when the VPN assigns you an IP address based in the US.
This is the classic Hulu location trick. For this purpose, I’d recommend the highly reliable ExpressVPN, which also ensures your online safety.
3 Best VPNs to Watch Hulu on Android TV Outside USA
Having elaborated upon why you need a VPN, here are 3 of the best VPN providers, along with their tech-approved features. All three will allow you to stream Hulu smoothly.
ExpressVPN – Trustworthy VPN to Watch Hulu
- Number of servers: ExpressVPN has over 3000 fastest servers in 105 countries and 24 highly optimized servers in the USA, providing unlimited bandwidth.
- Pricing policy: With their “Most Popular” plan, you can get ExpressVPN for 1 year for only $8.32/month.
- Speed: 80% of ExpressVPN’s global bandwidth has been upgraded from 1Gbps to 10Gbps servers for faster speeds and more reliable connections.
- Best-in-class encryption: Your data is protected by AES-256, further securing it with the TrustedServer technology.
- Compatibility: ExpressVPN supports all considerable devices, including Windows, Mac, Android devices, iOS devices, Linux, Chromebook, and Amazon Kindle Fire. Also, with ExpressVPN, you can connect up to 8 devices
- DNS leak test: Stay anonymous by not letting your IP get leaked with ExpressVPN. Try the DNS leak test from its website to check if your connection is secured.
- No logs policy: ExpressVPN does not keep logs or record your traffic data.
- 24-hour support: ExpressVPN provides a 24-hour live chat support facility with real humans.
- Split Tunnelling: ExpressVPN’s split tunneling lets you route some of your devices or app traffic through the encrypted VPN tunnel while the other devices or apps access the internet directly.
Surfshark – Cost-efficient VPN to Watch Hulu
- Number of servers: Surfshark has 3200+ servers in 100 countries, with more than 600 servers in the US.
- Compatibility: Surfshark is compatible with almost all operating systems, and you can connect unlimited devices without worrying about OS compatibility.
- Price: Surfshark has 3 packages in their 2-year plan; the Surfshark Starter, which offers an 82% discount and is for $1.99/month + 4 free months; Surfshark One, with the same discount, is for $2.69/month + 4 free months and the 3rd package Surfshark One+ which is for $3.99/month + 4 free months with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- AES-256 encryption: Prevents data breaches online; if any data breach happens, you’ll get alerts and can even get the data back.
- Speed: At least 1 Gbps port is available on every server, while new 10 Gbps ports are added daily.
- Secure protocols: WireGuard® is a default protocol on all our apps. If you want to change that, try OpenVPN or IKEv2/IPsec.
- CleanWeb and Bypasser: Surfshark lets you surf in a clean cyber ocean with no ads, trackers, malware, and phishing attempts.
- Kill Switch and Camouflage Mode: Surfshark provides a safety net if your VPN connection drops. Your activities are never exposed, and with the camouflage mode, Surfshark ensures that even your internet provider can’t tell you’re using a VPN.
- Strict no-logs policy: Surfsharkdoesn’t monitor, track, or store what you do online. That means no connection or activity logs.
- 24/7 chat support: Surfshark’s customer support experts are there 24 hours daily.
NordVPN – Fastest VPN to watch Hulu on Android TV
- Number of servers: 6022 ultra-fast servers in 60 countries with unlimited speed and bandwidth.
- Price: In their 2-year plans, NordVPN has one “Most popular” package for $4.79/month + 3 EXTRA months. The other packages in the same plan are the “Complete” package for $5.79/month + 3 EXTRA months and the “Standard” package for $3.79/month + 3 EXTRA months.
- AES-256 encryption: Your data is secured with their trusted standard encryption system, which protects your data.
- Kill Switch: NordVPN’s kill switch feature removes specific apps if the VPN connection unexpectedly drops to stop transmitting unprotected traffic to the internet.
- Device Connectivity: NordVPN lets you use up to 6 devices.
- Double VPN: This makes it twice as hard for hackers to decipher your internet traffic. It changes your IP address two times, protecting your connection with double encryption.
- Dark Web Monitoring: A cybersecurity feature to prevent others from exploiting account information leaked to the dangerous dark web.
- 24/7 live support: You can get help and advice from NordVPN’s friendly customer support team 24/7.
How do I Cast Hulu from my Android to my TV?
To cast your Hulu content onto your TV, follow these steps:
- Sign into your Hulu app on your phone or tablet.
- Tap on the ‘Cast’ icon.
- Select your Android TV from the options.
- The content will now appear on your Android TV screen.
How Much Does Hulu on Android Cost?
Below are the four subscription plans with which you can watch Hulu on Android TV anywhere outside the US.
Hulu Basic – for $7.99/month
- You can stream on 6 devices simultaneously.
- A 30-day free trial period is included.
- This plan is an ad-supported
Hulu (Ad-free) – for $17.99/month
- Ads are removed with an additional sum.
- Connect with 6 devices at the same time.
- A 30-day free trial period is also included.
Hulu + Live TV – for $76.99/month
- Live stream both Disney+ and ESPN+
- More than 60 channels are available.
- On-demand content with ads.
- A 7-day free trial period is included.
Hulu + Live TV (No Ads) – for $89.99/month
- On-demand content without any ads.
- Disney+ is ad-free, but ESPN+ is not.
- 7 day free trial period is included.
How to Cancel your Hulu Subscription on your Android TV?
If you have, for some reason, decided to cancel your Hulu subscription, follow the steps below:
- Sign into your Hulu account.
- Go to ‘Account’ from the main menu.
- Under the ‘Subscription’ heading, click on ‘Cancel Subscription.’
- You may be asked if you want to pause your subscription.
- Proceed to cancel by clicking on ‘Cancel.’
Is Hulu Not Working on your Android TV? [Quick Fixes]
There are a few reasons why the Hulu app could not be working on your Android TV. We’ve listed some reasons and their possible fixes below:
Update your Hulu App
There may be a pending app update. Follow the steps to update your Hulu app:
- Go to the Google Play Store and then ‘My Apps.’
- Look for Hulu, and check if there’s a pending update.
- If there is, click on ‘Update’.
Check the Hulu Servers
It is highly likely that a Hulu server is down and has interrupted your streaming. In this scenario, aside from waiting for them to fix the issue, you can also confirm this problem through Down Detector.
Check your Internet Connection
In order to stream Hulu smoothly, you should have at least 6 Mbps of internet speed. Check via Fast.com if your speed is lower than the said minimum, and consider upgrading it.
Clear App Cache and Data
Sometimes, something as simple as an accumulated app cache that needs to be cleared can cause Hulu to stop working. Simply go to your app settings and clear the cache history.
Active Hulu Subscription
Ensure that your Hulu account subscription is still active and hasn’t expired. Log into your Hulu account to check this.
Reinstall the Hulu App
Having tried everything, if your issue still hasn’t been resolved, your last resort is to uninstall the app and reinstall the app.
Read More: How to Watch Family Guy on Hulu
Which Android TVs are Compatible With Hulu?
Given below is a list of Android TVs supported by Hulu:
- Sony Smart TV
- TCL Smart TV
- OnePlus Smart TV
- Sharp Smart TV
- Vu Smart TV
- Philips Smart TV
- Search Xiaomi Mi Smart TV
- Hisense Smart TV
Android TV Boxes:
- Nvidia Shield TV
- Airtel Xstream
- MXQ Pro 4K
- Mi Box 4K
What Devices Are Compatible With Hulu?
The following devices are compatible with Hulu in Bulgaria:
Take a look at this list below to see all compatible devices:
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- LG Smart TV
- Vizio Smart TV
- Xfinity TV Box
- Web Browser
- Nintendo Switch
Can You Access Hulu On Android TV in Other Countries?
Yes, you can watch Hulu on Android TV in the following other countries:
- Hulu in Canada
- Hulu in New Zealand
- Hulu in Australia
- Hulu in Malaysia
- Hulu in UK
- Hulu in France
- Hulu in Philippines
- Hulu in UAE
- Hulu in Mexico
- Hulu in Ireland
- Hulu in French Guiana
- Hulu in the Czech Republic
- Hulu in Spain
- Hulu in Cuba
- Hulu in Croatia
- Hulu In Turkey
- Hulu in Italy
- Hulu in Europe
- Hulu in Thailand
- Hulu in South Africa
- Hulu in Jamaica
- Hulu in Germany
Can I share my Hulu account?
Yes, you can. Anyone who has your account credentials can have access to your Hulu account. But do remember that only two people can steam at the same time.
Can I watch Hulu Live TV on my Android TV?
If you’ve subscribed for a Hulu+Live TV plan, then, of course, you can watch Hulu Live TV on your Android TV. You get to stream 75 channels. Moreover, you can also enjoy Hulu Live on Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, and many more.
Why can’t I get Hulu on my Android TV?
If Hulu is not working on your Android TV, then it’s because your TV’s hardware is not in accordance with Hulu’s requirements.
Can you get Hulu on Google TV?
Yes, it is possible for you to get Hulu on your Google TV. Follow these steps:
- Launch Google TV and go to Menu > More.
- Next, click on Settings > Advanced > Mode.
- Switch the mode to Generic.
- Now you can go to Hulu’s website and begin streaming.
How does Hulu know your location on your Android device?
Hulu has a highly intelligent system in place to detect your location. Even without such a system, your location can easily be detected by anyone through your IP address, DNS data, browsing activity, etc.
This is why you need a VPN to hide your identity from not just Hulu but also ill-intentioned strangers on the internet.
Read More: How to Watch Hulu on Android TV
To Summarise it All
I understand that this article may have been quite a lot to digest for you but hey, at least all your queries have been discussed.
You can now easily sign up for a Hulu account and stream your favorite content from anywhere in the world with the help of a reliable premium VPN, such as ExpressVPN. Not only will your identity be revealed, but it also won’t be stolen.
Allow me to bid adieu now. In case you have further questions regarding watching Hulu on Android TV or anything else, hit me up!