Hulu is an American on-demand streaming platform that offers some of the best entertainment content to make your movie night memorable. Hit shows loved by cord-cutters worldwide, such as The Handmaid’s Tale, Darby and The Dead, Fall Out, and so many more, are available to watch on Hulu for you to stream smoothly.
But the catch is that you cannot watch Hulu in NZ because of its geo-blocking restrictions. If you want to stream Hulu’s content anywhere outside the US, you’ll need to subscribe to a reliable VPN that will let you bypass the geo-restrictions and stream easily.
If you want to learn how to do that, this detailed article will lend you the guidance you need.
How to Watch Hulu in NZ? [5 Quick Steps]
Here are easy instructions on how to stream Hulu in New Zealand:
- Subscribe to a premium VPN provider, like the dependable ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN on your device.
- Log in to the VPN using the credentials you used while signing up.
- Connect to one of the many US-based servers.
- Finally, sign into your Hulu account and start streaming smoothly.
Why Do You Need a VPN for Hulu in NZ?
Hulu is officially available only in the US and certain cities in Japan. Beyond these two regions, Hulu’s content cannot be accessed because it is protected by geo-restrictive policies integrated into Hulu’s systems.
This means that if you try to stream Hulu in New Zealand, you’ll face the following error:
Hulu isn’t available to watch in your location.
So that you can prevent this and other geo-restrictive errors from interrupting you, I suggest you subscribe to a premium VPN provider.
A reliable VPN will let you hide your actual location and use a US-based IP address that it assigns to you. Now, Hulu can’t detect your location, and you’ll be able to stream uninterruptedly.
Read More: How To Watch Hulu on Mac
What are the Best VPNs to Watch Hulu in NZ? [In-depth Analysis]
Here’s a deep dive into the features of the top 3 VPNs I’ve recommended above:
ExpressVPN – Trustworthy VPN to Watch Hulu in NZ
The following features make ExpressVPN the most trustworthy VPN to watch Hulu in NZ:
- Number of servers: ExpressVPN has over 3000 fastest servers in 105 countries and 24 highly optimized servers in the USA, providing unlimited bandwidth.
- Pricing policy: With their “Most Popular” plan, you can get ExpressVPN for 1 year for only $8.32/month.
- Speed: 80% of ExpressVPN’s global bandwidth has been upgraded from 1Gbps to 10Gbps servers for faster speeds and more reliable connections.
- Best-in-class encryption: Your data is protected by AES-256, further securing it with the TrustedServer technology.
- Compatibility: ExpressVPN supports all considerable devices, including Windows, Mac, Android devices, iOS devices, Linux, Chromebook, and Amazon Kindle Fire. Also, with ExpressVPN, you can connect up to 8 devices
- DNS leak test: Stay anonymous by not letting your IP get leaked with ExpressVPN. Try the DNS leak test from its website to check if your connection is secured.
- No logs policy: ExpressVPN does not keep logs or record your traffic data.
- 24-hour support: ExpressVPN provides a 24-hour live chat support facility with real humans.
- Split Tunnelling: ExpressVPN’s split tunneling lets you route some of your devices or app traffic through the encrypted VPN tunnel while the other devices or apps access the internet directly.
Surfshark – Most Economical VPN to Watch Hulu in NZ
Surfshark is a fan-favorite VPN because of the following features:
- Number of servers: Surfshark has 3200+ servers in 100 countries, with more than 600 servers in the US.
- Compatibility: Surfshark is compatible with almost all operating systems, and you can connect unlimited devices without worrying about OS compatibility.
- Price: Surfshark has 3 packages in their 2-year plan; the Surfshark Starter, which offers an 79% discount and is for $2.29/month + 2 free months; Surfshark One, with the same discount, is for $2.69/month + 4 free months and the 3rd package Surfshark One+ which is for $3.99/month + 4 free months with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- AES-256 encryption: Prevents data breaches online; if any data breach happens, you’ll get alerts and can even get the data back.
- Speed: At least 1 Gbps port is available on every server, while new 10 Gbps ports are added daily.
- Secure protocols: WireGuard® is a default protocol on all our apps. If you want to change that, try OpenVPN or IKEv2/IPsec.
- CleanWeb and Bypasser: Surfshark lets you surf in a clean cyber ocean with no ads, trackers, malware, and phishing attempts.
- Kill Switch and Camouflage Mode: Surfshark provides a safety net if your VPN connection drops. Your activities are never exposed, and with the camouflage mode, Surfshark ensures that even your internet provider can’t tell you’re using a VPN.
- Strict no-logs policy: Surfsharkdoesn’t monitor, track, or store what you do online. That means no connection or activity logs.
- 24/7 chat support: Surfshark’s customer support experts are there 24 hours daily.
NordVPN – Largest Server Network VPN to Watch Hulu in NZ
NordVPN is one of the most recommended VPNs to watch Hulu in NZ because of the following features:
- Number of servers: 6022 ultra-fast servers in 60 countries with unlimited speed and bandwidth.
- Price: With their “Most popular” package, you can get NordVPN for 2 years in $4.99/month + 3 EXTRA months.. The other packages in the same plan are the “Complete” package for $5.79/month + 3 EXTRA months and the “Standard” package for $3.79/month + 3 EXTRA months.
- AES-256 encryption: Your data is secured with their trusted standard encryption system, which protects your data.
- Kill Switch: NordVPN’s kill switch feature removes specific apps if the VPN connection unexpectedly drops to stop transmitting unprotected traffic to the internet.
- Device Connectivity: NordVPN lets you use up to 6 devices.
- Double VPN: This makes it twice as hard for hackers to decipher your internet traffic. It changes your IP address two times, protecting your connection with double encryption.
- Dark Web Monitoring: A cybersecurity feature to prevent others from exploiting account information leaked to the dangerous dark web.
- 24/7 live support: You can get help and advice from NordVPN’s friendly customer support team 24/7.
How to Create a Hulu Account in NZ?
First time on Hulu? Follow the instructions steps below:
- Subscribe to and download a reliable VPN. I would recommend ExpressVPN.
- Once you’ve installed it, connect to a US-based server.
- Visit Hulu’s official website.
- Click on the Signup
- Select one of the four Hulu subscription plans.
- Enter the required information.
- Select a payment method and type your billing details.
- The signup process is complete now; you can log into your Hulu account and start streaming.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Unblock Hulu in New Zealand?
Using a free VPN to get Hulu in NZ is possible but not recommended. Free VPNs do not possess the features that premium VPNs do. Here are some significant reasons why you shouldn’t get a free VPN:
- Free VPNs do not have the capacity and speeds to stream Hulu smoothly. Moreover, they have a limited number of servers that Hulu has already blocked.
- They are not technologically equipped to bypass the geo-restrictions imposed by Hulu. Hence, you won’t be able to stream.
- Free VPNs are a significant threat to your data’s safety because these services are known to sell user data to third parties in exchange for their free services.
Considering these drawbacks of free VPNs, I would strongly advise against downloading one.
Read More: How To Watch Hulu On Chromecast
What Bundles are Offered by Hulu?
Hulu has a variety of 4 plans for their subscribers to choose from. Select one that suits you the best:
Hulu Basic – for NZD 13.53/month
- You can stream on 6 devices simultaneously.
- A 30-day free trial period is included in this plan.
- This is an ad-supported plan.
Hulu (Ad-free) – for NZD 25.38/month
- Ads are now removed with an additional amount.
- Connect with 6 devices at the same time.
- A 30-day free trial period is included in this plan, too.
Hulu + Live TV – for NZD 118.48/month
- Live stream both Disney+ and ESPN+
- More than 60 channels are now available.
- On-demand content is available.
- This plan comes with ads.
- A 7-day free trial period is included.
Hulu + Live TV (No Ads) – for NZD 140.49/month
- On-demand content but without any ads.
- Disney+ is ad-free, but ESPN+ is not.
- 7 day free trial period is included.
How to Pay For Hulu in NZ? [5 Payment Methods]
Paying for your Hulu subscription is now easy with these 5 easy and secure methods described below:
How To Pay For Hulu By Using a Gift Card
- Subscribe to a premium VPN that has US servers, such as ExpressVPN.
- Go to MyGiftCardSupply and click on the Hulu gift card (if MyGiftCardSupply doesn’t work, you can also use GiftCardCabin).
- Choose the value you want to add to the card (subscribe to save on multiple cards), and then proceed to check out.
- Pay with your local credit card or PayPal and add a link to redeem the card after getting an email confirmation.
- Now, visit the Hulu gift card redemption page and log out of your account after clearing your browser.
- Click “Redeem,” and you’ll create a new Hulu account and enter a US ZIP Code.
- You can now log in to your new account and enjoy all your favorite movies and TV shows.
How To Pay For Hulu By Using PayPal
- Subscribe to a premium VPN; I recommend using ExpressVPN and sign up for it.
- Connect to a US server.
- Now, make sure you have a US PayPal account.
- Sign up for Hulu by selecting PayPal as your payment method.
- Log in to Hulu and enjoy non-stop streaming!
How To Pay For Hulu By Using StatesPay
- Subscribe to a reputable VPN like ExpressVPN and connect to the New York server.
- Create a StatesPay account.
- You’ll have to go to the website and click on “Sign up” to create a new account and add funds.
- Now, use your new card information and sign up for Hulu.
- Pay for Hulu, and you can start streaming Hulu from anywhere in the world.
How To Pay For Hulu By Using A Prepaid Card
- Subscribe to a trustworthy VPN.
- Go to the USA Visa website.
- Choose your card.
- Follow the steps to sign up and add funds.
- Use a new card to create a Hulu account. You will need a US phone number and address when signing up.
- Congratulations! You’re all set to stream Hulu outside the US.
How To Pay For Hulu By Using iTunes?
- Subscribe to a premium VPN; I suggest using ExpressVPN.
- Visit the iTunes website and log out if you already have an account.
- Create a new iTunes account using your gift card.
- You’re ready to stream Hulu from anywhere in the world.
What Devices Are Compatible with Hulu in NZ?
The list of compatible devices with Hulu is extensive. Below are details for three of these:
How To Download Hulu on Android
- First of all, subscribe to a reputable VPN [ExpressVPN is our #1 recommendation] and sign up for it.
- Connect to a US server.
- Go to your Android device’s Play Store.
- Search the Hulu app in the Play Store and click “install.”
- Sign in using your credentials after the installation.
- Voila! You’re all set to watch Hulu’s exclusive content on your Android.
How To Get Hulu on iOS
- Get a subscription to a premium VPN such as ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app on your iOS device.
- Connect to an American server; I suggest you use the New York
- Go to “Settings” on your iOS device and tap the Apple ID.
- Click “Media and Purchases > View Account.”
- Sign in and change the location to the US.
- Search for the Hulu app in the App Store.
- Finally, install, sign in, and stream Hulu on your iOS device outside the USA.
Download Hulu on Streaming Devices, Smart TVs, and Gaming Consoles
- Get a premium VPN such as ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN on your device.
- Make sure you have the router firmware.
- Connect to an American server; the New York server is recommended.
- Link your device to the router network and activate Hulu on your streaming device.
- There you have it! You can now watch Hulu from anywhere in the world.
Other Devices Compatible with Hulu
Besides the three devices mentioned above. Here’s a list of other devices Hulu supports:
Take a look at this list below to see all compatible devices:
- Android TV
- Apple TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- LG Smart TV
- Vizio Smart TV
- Xfinity TV Box
- Web Browser
- Nintendo Switch
Is There Any Other Way to Unblock Hulu in New Zealand?
The most convenient method is to use a VPN, but if, for some reason, you can’t use one or are simply exploring more options, here are two methods you can employ to stream Hulu in New Zealand.
A Smart DNS is similar to a proxy server because it routes your internet traffic to a remote server and hides your actual IP address and location. If you’re interested in unblocking Hulu through a Smart DNS, I would recommend using the MediaStreamer feature by ExpressVPN, which also comes with extra-fast connections.
Browser Extension (Not Recommended)
This method is an unreliable one because Hulu’s website blocks most browser proxy extensions. Moreover, they route your traffic through a US server, which is already being used by thousands of other users. Hence, I don’t suggest employing this method.
Read More: How To Watch Hulu Outside The US
Why is Hulu not Working in New Zealand? [Easy Fixes]
There are a few errors that can cause interruptions in your streaming experience but fret not. Listed below are some of them and their reliable solutions.
- Check your internet connections: to stream Hulu smoothly, you need a minimum of 6 Mbps. Check via fast.com if your internet speed is lower than the specified minimum. Moreover, you can move your device closer to the router or contact your ISP.
- Active Hulu subscription: check through your Hulu account to see if your subscription is still valid and hasn’t expired.
- Check if Hulu’s servers are down: your error may be related to a server being down. In this case, you only wait for the issue to be resolved on Hulu’s end. You can also check server status through Down Detector.
- Clear Hulu app cache: it may be that your app cache and data are taking up space and need to be cleared.
- Compatibility with Hulu: it may be that Hulu does not support your device.
- Update or reinstall your Hulu.
- Contact your VPN provider: if none of the solutions above has worked, you may contact your VPN service provider for assistance.
How Can I Cancel my Hulu Subscription in New Zealand?
To cancel your Hulu subscription plan, here’s what you have to do:
- Sign into your Hulu
- Go to ‘Account’ from the main menu.
- Under ‘Subscription,’ click on ‘Cancel Subscription’.
- You’ll be prompted to pause your subscription.
- Complete the process by clicking on ‘Cancel’.
What to Watch on Hulu in NZ in 2023?
Hulu holds an impressively vast library of TV shows and movies. The list of content for you to watch is endless. Take a look at some of the most popular titles:
Top TV Series to Watch on Hulu in NZ
- Tiny Beautiful Things
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- Parks and Recreation
- The Clearing
- The Office
- Grey’s Anatomy
- The Kardashians Season 4 on Hulu
- Killing Eve
- Secret Invasion
- Modern Family
Top Movies to Watch on Hulu in NZ
- Fight Club
- Not Okay
- Good Luck to you, Leo Grande
- Flamin Hot
- The Drop (2022)
Top Channels to Watch on Hulu in NZ
- ABC News
- Big Ten Network
- National Geographic
- Animal Planet
Can you Watch Hulu Content from Other Countries Besides NZ?
Since we’re using a VPN to access Hulu’s geo-blocked content, here’s a list of countries where Hulu can be streamed:
What are the US ZIP Codes?
Below is a list of US ZIP codes you can get help from:
|90001 – 90089
|90209 – 90213
|60601 – 60641
|20001 – 20020
|85001 – 85055
|78701 – 78705
|33124 – 33190
|30301 – 30381
|02101 – 02137
|10001 – 10048
When is Hulu Coming to NZ?
As of yet, there is no such news in circulation. But Hulu’s parent company, Disney, has announced expansion plans for this service, and we can only hope New Zealand is included in these expansion plans for Hulu.
Can students get a Hulu discount in NZ?
Yes, students can get a discount on their student cards, so this way, they can enjoy additional discounts on their Hulu Subscription. They can get it for NZ$ 2.87 (US$ 1.99)/month, and this is an ad-supported plan.
Is it necessary to always have a VPN for accessing Hulu in NZ?
Yes, it is necessary for you to always have your VPN on at all times if you want to stream from New Zealand. Because of the geo-restrictions imposed, you can’t watch without a VPN.
Is it legal to watch Hulu in NZ with a VPN?
Yes, it is legal to use a VPN to stream Hulu in New Zealand. All you need is a subscription to a reliable VPN, and you’re good to go.
Can I get a free Hulu trial in New Zealand?
Yes, you can get a free trial with Hulu when you sign up for the first time. Upon doing so, you get a 30-day free trial, and during this period, you can also cancel your subscription without any hidden charges.
Does Hulu detect VPNs?
Yes, Hulu does detect VPNs. Since it keeps track of IP addresses accessing its services, the moment its intelligent systems detect an IP address connected via a VPN, Hulu blocks that particular IP address.
Once you’re done following these steps elaborated above, you’ll find out that streaming on Hulu is a walk in the park. All you need is the magic wand called a VPN. If you have this powerful weapon, you won’t have any trouble unblocking any geo-blocked content on the internet.
Alas, if you’ve got further questions or comments, feel free to mention them below.